Real progress on the carport project this weekend! I got my little "work area" set up under a dining canopy borrowed from our camping gear and set off with Mark and Dean early Saturday morning to do some shopping. They didn't sell ten-foot 4x6s at Lowe's so I ended up with more 12-footers then I wanted to deal with, but that's the way it goes. The van was really weighed down with all the lumber and bags of concrete, but we made it back home okay, dragging our bumper all the way. Okay, not really, but you know what I mean.
The posts were heavy, but once the holes were measured and marked (tougher then it sounds since I'm building into a slope) holes were dug. I rented an earth auger from the True Value to get the digging done ($41 for a half day including insurance) and drilled holes for my gate posts, too. Totally worth it - I never would have been able to do the job with a regular post hole digger. 18 holes in all, eight inches in diameter.
Then, some gravel borrowed from the driveway, some scrap wood for supports, and all 18 posts got set in, down to the bedrock, and surrounded by concrete. I went for the expensive no-mix concrete (dump in the 50 pound bag and then put a gallon of water on top) which was another time-saving extra expense, but also one that truly made the job easier considering the price difference was only about $2.40 a bag.
The next step is to figure out the height and angle of the roof, lop off the posts at the right height, and get the roof beams installed. Hopefully some of that can happen during the week this week so I can get a roof on this thing before it gets much colder!!